[users@httpd] mod_logio Performance hits?

Hi Folks,

We've encountered a bit of a problem with Apache2.

Apparently to improve performance, when apache2 logs the respose size in the access log, it logs the 'expected' file size, not the amount of data sent out on the wire. It seems to get this information from the filesize of the file being served. Here's where it becomes a problem:

* If someone downloads only say 100MB of a 650MB ISO image, apache logs the 650MB figure.

* If someone uses a download manager to download a file in chunks, apache logs the overall size of the file, not the size of each chunk sent.

As you can imagine, this causes havoc with traffic/log analysers. They're saying our outbound data is far far greater than we're physically capable of pushing.

Now, someone mentioned to me that mod_logio can come closer to logging the actual data sent on the wire (albeit with the headers included). My query is, what sort of performance hit have people encountered when using this module, especially in a large-scale high- output environment (we're talking 1000 concurrent connections, many of them downloading large - 200MB+ - files).

Would the performance hit be enough to consider back-tracking to Apache1.3 (which correctly logs the bytes sent, rather than the 'expected' bytes to be sent) instead of Apache2?

Cheers,
Dan