Re: [users@httpd] Httpd processes are not dying

On 9/13/05, Mishra, Pawan <Pawan.Mishra@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Joshua,
>
> I am not sure you remember the problem I stated last time so I am
> listing it here again. You had asked me to run mod_status. I have
> attached the output of the mod_status too.
>
> Problem: The httpd processes keep getting accumulated in the memory and
> are not dying timely as expected. This happens even when there is no use
> of the application for hours. There are times when we see more that 70
> such processes even when application has not been used for 6-7 hours.
> Since these processes donot dye in timely manner, they keep getting
> accumulated till the MaxClient limit is reached and at that point I.H.S.
> stops responding and thus site becomes down. We then need to restart the
> I.H.S. server. We have been experiencing this problem since we migrated
> to WAS 5.0.2 / I.H.S. 1.3.26.2 combination.

Well, the server-status looks completely normal except that
MaxSpareServers is not being honored.  So the first thing I'd do is
triple-check that you are editting the correct config-file, and that
MaxSpareServers occurs only once in that config.

Other than that, I'd really suggest reporting this to IBM, since it
appears you are using an IBM-modified version of the server.

Joshua.