Re: [users@httpd] ServerName Directive, and where to place it

On 9/10/05, David A. Cobb <superbiskit@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> My first action as a new list-member winds up being a not-to-smart question.
>
> The FAQ assigns the ServerName directive to the httpd.conf file, however
> for Apache2 at least, that file is identified as an empty file for
> compatability only.

httpd.conf is certainly not empty in the apache httpd distributed from
httpd.apache.org.  Perhaps you are looking at some redistributed
version.

In any case, all the main config files are equal to apache.  There is
one (usually httpd.conf) that is read first, and others are
"Include"ed from there.  But it doesn't matter which file you place
things in.  What does matter for ServerName is that the directive must
be placed outside any config section (like <Directory> or
<VirtualHost>) in the main part of the config.  (ServerName in
<VirtualHost> has a different meaning.)

Joshua.