[users@httpd] Apache 2.0.54 Hangs On Windows XP Installation

Hi,

I'm trying to install "apache_2.0.54-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi" on Windows XP.  The setup routine freezes at approximately 2 seconds into the process (see screen shot below--my comments in parentheses).
Apache HTTP Server 2.0 - Installation Wizard

Welcome to the Installation Wizard for
Apache HTTP Server 2.0.54

Apache HTTP Server 2.0.54 Setup is preparing the Installation
Wizard which will guide you through the program setup
process.  Please wait.

<Back (greyed out) Next> (greyed out) Cancel (works but I have to do a Ctrl Alt Delete to get out)
The "apache_1.3.33-win32-x86-no_src.exe" program does the same thing.  Would anyone on this list know the open source code well enough to give me a hint of what could causing this problem?  No other program that I install hangs like this program does.

I have Norton Internet Security running on my computer, but I don't think it is the cause because I had the same hanging problem last year and didn't have Norton.  Since last year, I've formatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP.

If someone could decipher this mystery, I would really appreciate it.  My only other alternative is to throw this computer away and get a new computer.

Thank you,

Gavin Ziegler

P.S. I'm a novice at this programming, and want to get past this initial install so I can practice some serious coding (e.g., PHP&MySQL for Dummies, etc.).