[users@httpd] Question marks in URLs on Win32

Hi folks,

I'm working on a CMS which uses mod_rewrite to dispatch all URLs through a single script. The original URL isn't included in the destination URL since the CMS uses REQUEST_URI to get the original URL and decodes it manually.

While testing the CMS on a Win32 Apache install I noticed that the Windows version of Apache seems to reject outright any URL containing an escaped question mark (%3F). The server replies with a 403 Forbidden message.

Testing reveals that this isn't specific to our rewrite setup: any Win32 Apache will do this for any URL containing an escaped question mark. Apache under Linux doesn't seem to exhibit this.

I assume this has something to do with a question mark not being allowed in filenames under Windows, but the CMS isn't mapping the path onto the filesystem at all so this restriction is unnecessary in this case. Is there some way to disable this check?