[users@httpd] Apache Password Issue

Hi, I have two directories, but of which are password protected in a similar manner, though the username/password for each is different.  One directory behaves like I expect, and prompts you for a password when you first go to it, then keeps you authenticated while you go to various links in the directory.  The other, however, prompts for the password everytime you click on a link or even refresh the page.  The permissions in both the directories are the same, as are the permissions on the .htaccess and .htpasswd files (which reside in the same directory)  Does anyone know what would cause this?