[users@httpd] Memory of childprocess

Hello

Our webserver (on linux) freezes from time to time. I checked the /var/log/messages file and found very often (but not allways in connection with the freezing time) an entry like:

 ... kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process ... (httpd)

In the meantime I set the MaxMemFree too 900MB (the server has 924MB real memory and 1GB of swap). Freezing still occurs and I also see the same error message (more often, as I expected). In connection to this problem I had a look at the memory consumption of the httpd-childprocesses. I am wondering how it is possible that one (or most of the time two) of them consumes about 1/3th of memory each while all the others use only about 1% or less. I had a look at the activity of a large-memory-consumption process and a small-memory-consumption one (using "strace -f -p ...") but do not see any significant difference ? How is this possible ? If a childprocess once allocated memory, doesn't it frees it again ? If this is the case one allways has to use "MaxRequestPerChild". I am using apache 2.0.46.

Thank's for any help

   Pedro