Re: [users@httpd] Redirect in .htaccess w/ FileInfo off.

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On 8/9/05, Chris Johnson <johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >      Hi,
> >
> >      New problem.  We wouldf very much love to allow users to use
> > Redirect in .htaccess but must disallow FileInfo to turn off things
> > like PHP.  FileInfo is needed to allow Redirect.
> >
> >      Is there any way to either re-enable redirect specifically
> > without allowing FineInfo?  I'm thinking no and it's a little
> > upsetting that Apache doesn't seem to have finer granularity here
> > unless I'm missing something.  Oh, using 1.3 here, but 2.0 appears to
> > have the same problem.
>
> No, there is no direct way to do this.  But there are plenty of other
> ways to accomplish the same goal.  For example:
>
> 1. Allow FileInfo but use a "php_admin_flag engine off" or similar
> setting to assure that php can't be used.

     Turns off php true, but there's also perl.  Is there anything
like this for mod_perl at all?

> 2. Allow FileInfo but use other administrative measures to keep your
> users in line.  (A rule with posted consequences for violations plus a
> simple cron job for enforcement should work fine.)
>
> Joshua.

     Yeah.  Problem there is that this is an after thie horse has
escaped deal.  True I can do nasty things but only after my server is
trashed.

Chris Johnson               |Internet: johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator       |Web:      http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~johnson
NMR Center                  |Voice:    617.726.0949
Mass. General Hospital      |FAX:      617.726.7422
149 (2301) 13th Street      |"The two most abundant things in the Universe
Charlestown, MA., 02129 USA | are hydrogen and stupidity."  Harlan Ellison