Re: [users@httpd] What ports can I substitute for 8080?

Well, it's getting a bit off-topic for this list, but here goes :

1) "I'm a little confused, though. First, how do you "load
mod_rewrwite"?"

That's an Apache question, still in place ;-)

Just make sure that somewhere in your httpd.conf (or included files) there is a directive like this
LoadModule rewrite_module                 /usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_rewrite.so
The path to the .so obviously depends on your installation; I don't really know how to specify a path to a .dll in Windows
There should already be some LoadModule lines, so compare with one of those.

2) "So would I replace "YourPloneInstanceName" with Zope-Instance/Plone 2?"

Have a look at http://127.0.0.1:8080/manage on your server; this is actually the content of Zope; remember, Plone is a framework (meaning : a bunch of components) that works under Zope, Plone is nothing without Zope. Zope is the 'environment' or if you want to call it like that your 'virtual machine' where the Plone code runs.
On this page you should see something called the Root Folder. This is the Zope root folder. Under this root, there probably will be a plone web site object. (a little circle with the 3 dots in it)
"YourPloneInstanceName" has to be substituted with the name of this object.
This could very well be named "Plone" in a default installation.
If it's not there, create one : On the top right of the right frame, select "CMF Site" and click Add, follow the screen; the ID is the name of your Plone Site
<getting very off topic now, my apologies to the rest of the list>

The "www.yourdomain.com:80" should be substituted with the domainrequest Apache receives and the portname it receives it on.
If you don't have a *real*  domain name; just fake one in your hosts file. On the side of the client (where the browser runs, can very well be the server itself as well), in the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts add a line like this :

x.x.x.x www.mydomain.com

where x.x.x.x is the ipaddress of your server.

This page also gives some info : http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/plone-apache/virtualhost

3) Also in this root folder; there probably already is a VirtualHostMonster; no problem then; you only need one for every zope server.

HTH

Kind regards,

Bert De Ridder

PeopleWare NV - Head Office

Cdt.Weynsstraat 85
B-2660 Hoboken
Tel: +32 3 448.33.38
Fax: +32 3 448.32.66

PeopleWare NV - Branch Office Geel

Kleinhoefstraat 5
B-2440 Geel
Tel: +32 14 57.00.90
Fax: +32 14 58.13.25

http://www.peopleware.be
http://www.mobileware.be

u r lame if u insist on trying 2 b l337 by abbrev evythng u type when asking ppl 4 hlp. kiddie speak is teh sux. ppl. plz stop teh kiddie speak. thx.

hint: aol kiddie speak is not cool, it just makes people not want to read your post.

David Blomstrom <david_blomstrom@xxxxxxxxx>

04/08/2005 17:40

Please respond to
users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject

http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/www.yourdomain.com:80/YourPloneInstanceName/VirtualHostRoot/$1

> [L,P]
>   ErrorLog /var/log/plone2/plonesite.log
>   LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b
> \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
>   TransferLog /var/log/plone2/transfer-plonesite.log
>   ProxyVia On
> </virtualhost>
>

> You also need to have the virtualhostmonster product
> in your zope setup.

Thanks; that looks pretty thorough!

I'm a little confused, though. First, how do you "load
mod_rewrwite"?

Second, it looks like I have to modify both of these
values: www.yourdomain.com:80/YourPloneInstanceName

On my C drive, I have a folder named Zope-Instance,
which contains a folder named Plone 2. So would I
replace "YourPloneInstanceName" with
Zope-Instance/Plone 2?

I'm not sure what to substitute for
www.yourdomain.com:80. I haven't created a website in
Plone/Zope yet. I'm just trying to set up a proxy
server so I can view the Plone home page.

Third, when I try to create a Virtual Host Monster, I
get this message:

Error Type: BadRequest
Error Value: This container already has a Virtual Host
Monster

Thanks.