From: Joshua Slive [mailto:jslive@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 10:45 AM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; bedouglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] apache displaying the directory contents...

On 7/25/05, bruce <bedouglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> i'm still trying to figure out how to 'turn off indexing' or hot to
disable
> indexing of a directory in apache. i have a index.php file. if i rename
the
> file, apache displays the directory of the document...
>
> i've reviewed what information i've been able to find via google. i have
the
> following in my httd.conf file:
>
> LoadModule status_module modules/mod_status.so
> LoadModule autoindex_module modules/mod_autoindex.so
> LoadModule asis_module modules/mod_asis.so
> .
> .
> .
> #
> # Disable autoindex for the root directory, and present a
> # default Welcome page if no other index page is present.
> #
> <LocationMatch "^/$">
>     Options -Indexes
>     #ErrorDocument 403 /error/noindex.html
>     ErrorDocument 403 /foo/err.html
> </LocationMatch>
> .
> .
> .
> #condor web test
> Alias /condor /var/www/html/condor
> <Directory /var/www/html/condor>
> #don't display directory listing
> #Options All
> Options -Indexes
> #Order allow,deny
> #Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> i've tried various combinations of commenting/uncommenting to try to
resolve
> this issue with no luck.
>
> any thoughts/ideas/comments from people who actually know apache would be
> appreciated!!!

The configuration listed above is basically correct, which means you
are missing something more basic.  I'd start by going through all of
httpd.conf (and any Include'd config files) and check every single
Option line to make sure that none of the contain "Indexes".  It is
not necessary to have "-Indexes".  The absence of the option should
turn it off.

If that doesn't do it, then you need to check to make sure you are
actually editting the same config file that apache is using.  Do you
get an error if you put an obvious syntax error in the file?

Joshua.