From: "Joshua Slive" <jslive@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 20:58 PM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Weird CGI problem in Windows XP

On 7/23/05, Richard Kelsch <rich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> None of my Perl scripts run anymore via Apache.
>
> Let me explain.  I've been writing simple Perl CGI scripts to run on a
> local Apache service via port 8888.  Using a web browser on localhost
> has been an easy way of writing friendly software with a familiar web
> interface.  All of the production machines do not have the problem, but
> suddenly and out of the blue my CGI scripts refused to run.  When I
> click on the link to run them I get no response.  At the bottom of the
> browser status bar I get a quick "loading" message and then a "Done" and
> nothing has changed, as if I never clicked on the link.

Sounds pretty strange.  Do you have all firewalls turned off?  I can
imagine some sneaky firewall rejecting requests for anything ending in
.pl.

> I checked the error logs and nothing shows up just the starting up of
> Apache messages.  I typed in a bogus path and that showed up in the
> error logs.

It is very odd that nothing shows up in the logs, and leads me to
suspect that the request is never making it to apache.  You could try
mod_log_forensic, which logs the request much earlier in the process,
to see if apache ever sees the request.

Joshua.