Re: [users@httpd] Cyrillic (ISO-8859) information lost during proxy

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, S.A. Birl wrote:

> I was just recently made aware of a problem, which I hope the list can
> help with:
>
> Our 2.0.48 server proxies requests to an IIS server.  On the IIS server is
> a website written in Cyrillic (ISO-8859-5 Im told).  I know nothing about
> Cyrillic as the majority of our websites are in English (and this is the
> first time a problem like this has popped up).
>
> For the privledged few who can access the IIS server directly, the browser
> displays the page correctly.  However the rest of the world who must use
> the proxy see jibberish.
>
> I examined the headers from both servers and I find that Apache is adding
> where IIS leaves this header out entirely.  I think it plays a key role in
> the problem.

Yep.  If IIS isn't adding that header, it's simply not HTTP-compliant.
I'm sure there are ways to fix it.  Do that, and the problem will go
away, as the apache won't have to fix an error by guesswork.

The fact that your browsers "work" without the header may be a security
issue.  It's a close cousin of the M$ deliberate-bug that let in lots of
those email "viruses".

> I discovered that our Apache server was not complied with mod_headers.c
> and Im hesitating on dynamically loading it on a heavily used production
> server.

That's no problem.

> My questions are this:
> 1) How can I force ISO-8859-5 without using mod_headers?
>    (one thing I still have to test is adding the Content-Type header to
>     IIS and see if Apache changes it or not).

AddType or SetType or ForceType ... check the docs for details.

> 2) Using a <Location> directive, what can I expect (preformance-wise) by
>    calling LoadModule to use mod_headers?

Logical disjunction.  Repeat thought process.

--
Nick Kew