Re: [users@httpd] Installing a "slim" 1.3?

Nick Pappas wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Can anyone direct me to a good resource to trimming down Apache 1.3 to
> be as small as possible for my needs?  I'd like to disable as much of
> the server as possible both to reduce the footprint of the server and
> to avoid potential linking errors in compiling on a very minimal Linux
> install.
>
> This is mainly a development site, possibly serving "full sized"
> versions of pictures in my image gallery, to the public.  PHP, maybe
> SSL, and MySQL are the only things I really need to be access through
> the web server.  I'd like to trim out as much as I can to save space,
> memory and cpu usage for the stuff I will never use.
>
> I will be attempting to install the server on a modified LinkStation
> (http://www.buffalotech.com), which has a MIPS processor running at
> 400MHz and has 64MB of RAM.  The box is meant to be a file server and
> runs a very basic version of Linux.  A power house this is not, but
> should be very capable to run what I'm wanting it for.
>
> I've thought about 2.0, but my web host uses 1.3 and I'd like to
> remain with what they use.  2.0 would let me browse my Subversion
> repository over the web, but that isn't a good enough reason. :)
>
> Thanks for any help!

Hello, Nick -

I've been working on this for a few embedded systems that we're working
with, and I've managed to make a ~380M CentOS install that's fully
functional, along with a ~300k Apache 2.0.54 install, and adding my
special PHP 5.0.4 is another ~1M.

When I'm all done, I'll be posting my procedures for the masses, because
this whole thing has been such a pain in the ass.  The docs should be
done in about a week.

Hope that helps
-dant