[users@httpd] connection problem with mod_auth_ldap

Hi,

I've got a strange problem with Apache 2.0.54 mod_auth_ldap and OpenSSL 2.2.26 on Solaris 8.

LDAP authentication does work most of the time, but occasionally I get "[LDAP: ldap_simple_bind_s() failed][Can't contact LDAP server]" messages and users can't log in. In Ethereal I see the web server sending SYN and RST packets but no LDAP exchange taking place at that time.

We also tried mod_authz_ldap, an other now unmaintained LDAP authentication module. That module too occasionally reported errors like "cannot bind to [4499] LDAP Server".

One idea was that the problems were caused by the somewhat unusual network infrastructure - a set of directory servers behind a load balancer, but manual ldapsearch commands never caused any problems, and a modification to mod_ldap to close always the connections (to avoid problems with mod_ldap connection pooling and the load balancer closing the connection prematurely) didn't change anything.

I've seen other people ask about bind failures with mod_auth_ldap, but they were all related to handshake problems with LDAPS.

I'd appreciate any ideas...

Ulf