Re: [users@httpd] Apache + AWSTATS = Vulnerability????

>>Kk, here is what I've got so far:
>>
>>My system seems to be infected by some kind of trojan/worm/virus called
>>Unix/Hacktop, wich does (for what I'm seeing) some kind of scanport via
>>ssh (22).
>>I found some related info saying that the intruder could be using a
>>security flaw from AWSTATS + Apache to get a valid root bash session
>>over port 80.
>>
>>Now the intruder created a few files, infected some others and is using
>>this scanport. I stopped the scanport by blocking the output of ssh in
>>my iptables and could be able to erase some virus related files.
>>
>>Now I want to know just 2 things:
>>
>>First, how can I be sure that it all happened because of the awstats
>>security flaw?
>

> No way to be 100% certain, but examing your access log for funny calls
> to your awstats cgi would be a good way to start.

Awstats has some known security holes, that permit to upload an execute
binarys.

>>Second, how could I completely remove this Unix/Hacktop from my system
>>(Linux RedHat9 k2.4) ?
>

> Technically, this is impossible without a clean reinstall.  The
> hacker/cracker could have replaced anything and everything.  He could
> have replaced the "rm" binary so that it never deletes files that he
> placed there.  He could have replaced "ls" so it doesn't show those
> files.  He could have replaced iptables so that it allows in his IP no
> matter what you configure.
>
> But since most hackers aren't that smart, you might have some luck if
> you can figure out what root kit was used and undo the damage.  But as
> you mentioned, this isn't the best list to find help with that.

Not completely impossible.. but could get real hard.
Anyways, as Joshua pointed. Most "hackers" (so called by themselves..
when they are really more like a "script kiddie") arent that smart. So,
you could try to search for problems using standar rpm utility (rpm -VVV
procps fileutils rpm perl util-linux , etc) and find replaced rpm's. Do
a port scan.. etc.
If you are not that familiar with sanitizing a compromised machine, your
best chance, is reinstalling the system.

good luck ;)