[users@httpd] Serving large files over slow links - weirdness

Hi all,

I have an odd one here that I can't track down.  I'm hoping it rings a
bell with someone on the list.

I have a client who is serving large (100+MB) files over Apache 1.3.33.

When the visitor is on a fast connection (cable/DSL or better) it downloads
just fine.  But if the visitor is on a slow speed link (roughly 128K or less)
it starts out ok, but after a while (minutes) the Apache child process stops
sending data and actually terminates the child process.

The child process is not getting a signal, it's shutting down cleanly as
if it had reached the max requests per child (but it hasn't).  There are no
errors logged anywhere (in Apache or the O/S logs).  In fact, Apache makes
no log entries at all for these requests since they don't complete.

At first we thought it was a PHP thing, since he is using PHP to push the
data through.  But we see this even when he serves the file directly.

It's almost as if some internal timeout is being reached, although the exact
time varies quite a bit (from a minute or so to 15 minutes).  It never fails
on a fast link, but fails 100% of the time on a slow link.  The actual number
of bytes received varies as well.

It's Apache 1.3.33 with PHP 4.4.0 on FreeBSD 4.11.  One custom module that
translates URIs for virtual hosting, but it doesn't do any file handling (plus
it's been in place for a long time before this problem started).

Any thoughts?

Mark