[users@httpd] Rewrites in .htaccess work with http but not https?

Hallo Everybody! :-)

I have a really strange problem for which I can't find a solution.

I have a .htaccess file with a simple rewrite rule in it which right now just
rewrites from one non existent file to an existing file (see below).  These
rules work fine when I call up the pages through a http call, but when I do
it using https, I get an "Internal Server Error".  The error log for the
https contains entries with "RewriteEngine not allowed here".  If I remove
the RewriteEngine On line, then I get "RewriteRule not allowed here".  In the
apache server config, I have an entry for the directory with "AllowOverride
All" in both http and https.  I'm rellay at a loss as to what's happening.
Does anyone have any ideas?

regards
Markus

in httpd.conf:
<VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80>
	DocumentRoot /usr/local/htdocs
	<Directory />
		Options FollowSymLinks
		AllowOverride None
	</Directory>
        <Directory "/usr/local/htdocs/rewritetest">
                AllowOverride All
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:443>
	DocumentRoot /usr/local/htdocs
	<Directory />
		Options FollowSymLinks
		AllowOverride None
	</Directory>
        <Directory "/usr/local/htdocs/rewritetest">
                AllowOverride All
        </Directory>
* SSL certificate stuff left out *
</VirtualHost>

Error log entry
/usr/local/htdocs/rewritetest/.htaccess: RewriteEngine not allowed here
/usr/local/htdocs/rewritetest/.htaccess: RewriteRule not allowed here

.htaccess file:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^test-me.php$ /usr/local/htdocs/rewritetest/testme.php [L,R]

testme.php:
<?php
	echo "Hello";
?>