[users@httpd] Re: mod_proxy performance tips needed

Jason Joines wrote:
I'm attempting to use mod_proxy under Apache 2.0.52 with the prefork MPM on SuSE Linux 8.1 to reverse proxy connections to the File Manager module of a Usermin 1.140 server running on SuSE Linux 9.2. The Apache server and the Usermin server are both using SSL.

The Apache server is a PIII 1 GHz with 1 GB of RAM. Both servers and various test clients are all plugged into the same ethernet switch. I'm using various copies of a 128 MB file on the Usermin server to check speeds. If I download the file to either the client or the Apache server from the Usermin server directly, the average speed always exceeds 6 MB/s. However, downloading to the client via the proxy on the Apache server with these settings in my SSL VirtualHost section drops the speed to 0.023 MB/s:

SSLProxyEngine on
ProxyRequests Off
 <Proxy *>
   Order deny,allow
   Allow from all
 </Proxy>
ProxyPass /ourfiles https://userminserver:20000
ProxyPassReverse /ourfiles https://userminserver:20000

I tried adding "ProxyReceiveBufferSize 2048" and the speed increased to 0.048 MB/s. ProxyRecieveBufferSize values of 4096, 8192 and 16384 yielded respective speeds of 0.049 MB/s, 0.053 MB/s and 0.24 MB/s.

In each case, the download starts just as fast as the direct connections. The first 10 MB or so are almost instantaneous. However, the speed steadily declines. In each case other than "ProxyReceiveBufferSize 16384", I killed the download off at about 70 MB as it had ground nearly to a halt.

I guess I can keep keep bumping the ProxyReceiveBufferSize up but I'm concerned about what other impacts this might have on the Apache server as performing this proxy is not it's only task in life. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason Joines

I reran all the tests and this time the results were different. 16384 was one of the slowest settings. It seemed changing ProxyReceiveBufferSize wasn't really having any affect.

I tried disabling SSL on the target box and that fixed the problem. Proxy speeds are no near direct connect speeds.

Jason