RE: [users@httpd] Networking problem?

Great!

> However, when I tried to do the same thing from
> Windows , it just kept processing....
>
> I also tried from my Windows to do
> telnet (linux hostanme)
> and
> telnet (linux hostanme) 80
> But it just kept processing....
>
> I think it may be the firewall that blocked port 80
> between PC and Linux, but let ping go thru.

Very likely. This "just kept processing...." thing means that the browser sent a request but never got ANY reply at all - not even an error. This is not what happens if you have a problem on the server - the server always responds at least with an error. However, this is exactly what happens if the FW (firewall) is blocking the port (it's a deliberate security ploy just to ignore unwanted packets - then the sender doesn't know if he's being denied or if it's just network latency. This slows down his attack).

See your next question for more...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle