[users@httpd] RewriteRule question: forward requests from one Apache server to another

I am trying to set up the following configuration:
1. Apache server with public IP address
2. Apache server behind NAT with no public IP address
3. Router with public IP address with port forwarding set up for port 8008 to Apache server 2
4. Public DNS record server.mydomain.com resolves to IP address of server 1

When a user browses to server.mydomain.com I want a web site to be served up from from server 2.

I have set the following up in httpd.conf on server 1:
<VirtualHost *:80>
       ServerName server.mydomain.com
       RewriteEngine On
       RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://60.234.nnn.nn:8008/$1 [L,P]
</VirtualHost>

I have set the following up in httpd.conf on server 2:
<VirtualHost *:8008>
   ServerName server.mydomain.com
   DocumentRoot /var/www/html
</VirtualHost>

I can access the website locally by accessing the site on server 2, but not through server 1. If I enter http://server.mydomain.com I just get the default apache homepage, rather than the index.phtml page that I want to be served up. If I enter http://server.mydomain.com/index.phtml I get a 404 error.

I guess my rewriterule is wrong but I'm not sure how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Cameron