RE: [users@httpd] Compression and Security

No.

A raw image from a camera or scanner is a bitmap; an array of pixels each of which contains the colour and brilliance information for that pixel. The filesize is huge and independent of the content of the image. You (should!) never use bitmaps on a webpage.

All portable images (eg, jpg) compress the bitmap to a mathematically minimal size. You can pass the jpg file through gzip and it will generate a .gz file but it won't make any difference to the size (it just rearranges the bits) and might even make it larger.

If you could compress a jpg, then we'd already do this again and again in the jpg-generation, making the file smaller and smaller until it disappeared :-)

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> I guess I am not really sure what I am asking when it comes
> to security, I
> have setup an apache server running parallel to my current
> IIS server but on
> port 8080.
> I want to switch them over but I would like to be sure that
> the instillation
> is secure, are there any problems with apache that I need to
> be worried
> about? Are there any patches / configuration setups that need
> to be applied?
>
> Arthur
>
> arthur@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a private and personal nature. It is not related to the exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe SWX.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.