[users@httpd] mod_deflate w/reverse proxy

I'm having trouble using mod_deflate to compress content that is going through my reverse proxy using apache 2.0.46. All requests go to a default virtual host, and then I use RewriteConf/RewriteRule [P] to carve off certain hostnames to reverse proxy to another webserver. We use this approach for testing, so normally everyone sees the regular set of files, but before deploying I can setup special hostnames to see a newer site version.

Configuration looks like this...

UseCanonicalName Off
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml

<VirtualHost *>
  DocumentRoot /foobar
  ServerName www.lokitech.com

  ProxyRequests Off
  <Proxy *>
    Order deny,allow
    Allow from all
  </Proxy>

  RewriteEngine On
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} \.lokitech\.com [NC,OR]
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^lokitech\.com [NC]
  RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://localhost:8082/$1 [P]
  ProxyPreserveHost On
</VirtualHost>

Let's say I'm hosting www.lokitech.com and www.prestosports.com on this server. With this setup, a request for an HTML URL on www.prestosports.com will get compressed, but a request for an HTML URL on www.lokitech.com will not get compressed.

I've done extensive google searching and saw there was something about how mod_deflate and mod_proxy are not compatible, but it wasn't clear if this is outdated or if there is a workaround.

Beyond instantly telling me how to fix this, I'm mainly hoping for suggestions to diagnose why the filter would not get applied to the proxy requests. Thanks in advance.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501