RE: [users@httpd] Forbid Directory Listings

From: "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Boyle@xxxxxxx>
To: <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Forbid Directory Listings
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:31:44 +0200

It is an argument to the "Options" directive:

Options -Indexes

will switch off directory indexing (see http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#options for details).

BTW, 1.3 and 2 have the same default (allow indexing) so I don't know why you get different behaviour - your configs must differ (or there are additional directives in a .htaccess file).

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

Owen: Thanks so much! That was the knob I was looking for.

Sorry I didn't look at the "Options" page even though the config file says "important."

It's usually something simple overlooked.

BTW: Both my apache-1.3 and 2 have this config line:
   Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

So, dunno why 1.3x is denying any listing of directories and that through me off that trail.

Once I added the minus to -Indexes - Voila!

Best of regards to you,
Jack