Re: [users@httpd] apache as reverse-proxy : forwarding SSL environment variables

On Jun 14, 2005, at 08:53 AM, Joshua Slive wrote:
On 6/14/05, lists@xxxxxxxx <lists@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
We've successfully set up apache with mod_proxy + mod_rewrite in front
of our (yet another) apache serving our webapps.

We've an application that use some mod_ssl environment variables to work
properly (for example it use SSL_CLIENT_S_DN). The problem when
connecting through reverse proxy is those mod_ssl environment variables
are not available on the machine hosting the application.

Is there any solution to forwarding this var to the application machine ?

You can set them in a cookie or in the query string.  mod_rewrite can
do either of these.
Then, if necessary, mod_rewrite on the back-end machine could put them
back in the environment.

What I've been doing with my Apache reverse proxies is to use mod_rewrite and mod_header to take the SSL var(s) and set them as HTTP request headers for the reverse-proxy request. This has the advantage of being a little "cleaner" if you have calls into your application machine that either already uses cookies, or that makes use of query strings.

I've posted examples of how to do this to the list a few times over the past several months. If you have trouble finding them in one of the archives, let me know and I'll send the example conf statements directly to you.

-Brian