[users@httpd] apache2 stops responding on traffic spikes

Hello all,

I need some help debugging an issue with Apache2 becoming completely unresponsive. Any help, tips and suggestions most welcome!

I'm running a light-weight Apache2 server configured as a reverse proxy, and serving some static content. Traffic is normally moderate at 2 requests per second. Occasionally though, a sudden spike shows up in the traffic (over 200 concurrent tcp connections being made in a very small timespan).

Some of those spikes (but not all, oddly enough; this only happens every other day or so) cause Apache to become completely autistic. It no longer serves requests, and apachectl -k graceful does nothing to remedy that. Only a complete restart brings it back from its "zombie" state. It doesn't crash (all 150 children are still listed in ps), and it does eventually (after a couple of hours) come back alive. I've written a little monitoring script that restarts it whenever this happens, so downtime is minimal.

As far as I can tell, traffic patterns around the time of these blackouts are not particularly different from normal.

I have no idea what is going on at those odd moments. What can I do to make sure Apache stays alive? What can I do to debug this?

TIA,
Rhesa Rozendaal

Some config information:
OS: Fedora Core 3
RAM: 1GB ( always at 80% used, no swap used)
Load average: 0.03 0.06 0.01
Server version: Apache/2.0.52
Server built:   Nov 11 2004 10:31:42

What I think is relevant from httpd.conf:
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 10

# prefork MPM
StartServers      35
MinSpareServers   30
MaxSpareServers   50
ServerLimit      180
MaxClients       150

LoadModule log_config_module modules/mod_log_config.so
LoadModule mime_magic_module modules/mod_mime_magic.so
LoadModule setenvif_module modules/mod_setenvif.so
LoadModule mime_module modules/mod_mime.so
LoadModule status_module modules/mod_status.so
LoadModule negotiation_module modules/mod_negotiation.so
LoadModule dir_module modules/mod_dir.so
LoadModule alias_module modules/mod_alias.so
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so

MaxRequestsPerChild  40000
ProxyRequests Off
ProxyReceiveBufferSize 131072
ProxyIOBufferSize  131072
ProxyVia On
ProxyPreserveHost On
<Proxy *>
        Order deny,allow
	Allow from all
</Proxy>

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond     /var/www/html/%{REQUEST_FILENAME}  -f
RewriteRule     ^/(.*)  /var/www/html/$1 [L]
# if not a static file, pass through to the backend mod_perl machine
RewriteRule     ^/(.*)  http://192.168.42.42/$1 [P,L]