[users@httpd] Re: Newbie Qu - details of graceful restart on Windows

Hi Bill,

>>[I asked this on the user list, and think it should have been asked
>>here...]

> No, it did belong on the users list :)
Ok, thanks!  And apologies.

>>I'm quite new to Apache, and trying to understand what a graceful restart
>>on Windows actually does.  I'm running Apache with mod_jk with multiple
>>Tomcats.  When we add a new Tomcat, I would like to update the
>>workers.properties file and then restart Apache so the changes take
effect.

>>Would anybody be able to explain exactly what happens, or point me to
>>documentation that already exists?  I've searched the mailing lists and
>>googled a lot, with not much detail.

> The defintion of graceful means that existing requests are served
> out, and when all are finished, that worker process ends.  In the
> interim, new worker process(es - 1 on win32) are started to serve
> every new incoming request.
Thanks.

>>My main concern is whether its possible for requests to be dropped during
>>this process, and whether session affinity is maintained - eg if a
browser
>>is already talking to a certain Tomcat, will it continue to talk to
exactly
>>that one after the restart?

> Of course not, when you talk about a 'browser talking to Apache'
> this usually consists of many separate requests, one after another
> (and sometimes in parallel.)  The next request initiated after the
> graceful restart will speak to a new Apache instance.
Ummm...do you mean a browser talking to Apache or Tomcat?  I understand
that the next request will speak to a new Apache instance, but I would have
thought (hoped!) that session affinity would have been preserved across the
restart and the browser would still talk to the same Tomcat.  Can I clarify
that you are saying that this is *NOT* the case?

If so, that is really unfortunate.  We have "sessions" of communication
that must go to the same Tomcat, and we would like to restart without
having to put all of the Tomcats "offine" while the restart happens.  Any
ideas?

cheers,

David

> The exception is a keep-alive request.  When Apache is gracefully
> restarting, the old process is told to honor no more keep-alive
> requests, and terminates the connections after satisfying the next
> request.  (It tells the client that the connection will not be
> kept-alive, of course.)

> How you configure or restart tomcat on the backend is a different
> issue altogether.

Bill