Re: [users@httpd] Quick Directory Question...

On 6/2/05, N Lamb <ndlamb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is there a good reference book you could recommend for me to buy that
> would help me learn and understand Apache (1.3) for Mac?
> Ideally a book with the basics, but would also be suitable as a
> reference (if not one book maybe two...)

This site:
http://atlassian01.contegix.com:10086/confluence/oss/display/BOOKS/Books+about+Httpd
lists a number of good books.  But I don't really have personal
experience with any of them.  Perhaps others on the list will chime
in.

As far as reference books go, you are best off simply using the
documentation on the apache website.  That is more accurate and
comprehensive than any book.  (But buying a book to help you get
started with the basics is a very good idea.)

> One final question...  Do I need that directory line at all to protect
> the root structure?  And is there a security risk with just changing it
> to read as follows?
>
> <Directory "/Library/WebServer/Documents">
> Order Deny,Allow
> Allow from All
> </Directory>

That is a fine configuration if you wish to allow everyone to access
your website.  Whether or not you can delete this block entirely
depends on what else you have in your config file.  For example, if
you have
<Directory "/">
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
</Directory>
then you will need the above section to allow access to that
particular directory.

> Thanks in advance and sorry of the elementary level of my questions...

No need to appologize.  That is the purpose of the list.

Joshua.