Re: [users@httpd] Apache performance server reached MaxClients setting

On 6/2/05, Gamesnel - Piethein Strengholt <piethein@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a plesk (7.5.2 box) running with Redhat 9. This machine (Pentium
> 4 1024 mhz) was running fine for quite a long time. This week one of my
> sites became very populair and this gives me some troubles. The apache
> server stops to work and I need to restart it within every 10 minutes.
> Then apache is up and after 10 minutes its down again. The server log
> said this:

What does "stops to work" mean exactly?  Apache should not just stop,
regardless of the load.  It may become very slow.  You can use the
server-status page provided by mod_status plus the "top" display on
your server in combination to figure out what resources are running
out (memory, processor, httpd children, etc).  Depending on what kind
of content you are serving, you may also be running out of other types
of resources like database connections.  That could certainly make
your server appear to freeze.

> [error] server reached MaxClients setting, consider raising the
> MaxClients setting
>
> So I changed the MaxClients from 100 to 256.
> This will increase the dying time from 10 minutes till 20 minutes but
> does not solve the problem. When I check the apache status I see this:

You should increase MaxClients as far as you can subject to the
condition that you have enough physical memory to hold all the child
processes.

Joshua.