[users@httpd] Re: Apache 2.x remote logging

Vizion <vizion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thursday 02 June 2005 02:13,  the author Fredrik Steen contributed to the
> dialogue on-
>  [users@httpd]  Apache 2.x remote logging:
>
>>I'm in the process of building a web farm consisting of 10-20-30 something
>> web servers handling 300k of virtual hosts and have started to look at how
>> to handle logging for these hosts.
>>
>>Do anyone have any good ideas how to handle that massive amount of log
>> files? Preferably using some sort of remote log collector.
>>
>>I have looked at:
>> - mod-witch: http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/mod-witch (Will syslog
>> handle it?) - mod_log_spread: http://www.backhand.org/mod_log_spread/
>> (Apache 2.x module status?)
>> - mod_log_sql: http://www.outoforder.cc/projects/apache/mod_log_sql/
>>   (Performance?)
>>
>>Any recommendations or ideas to handle this?
> With such a massive logging requirement I feel some analysis of the purpose to
> you intend to fulfill by using the logs could well drive the selection of
> methods & processes for dealing with them and hence and your choice of
> solution.
> Are there any top level plans which describes each purpose and some idea of
> data volumes applicable for each purpose you feel able to share with us?

The idea is to use the logs for generating statistics (daily) for each virtual
host. We will use webalizer[1] and/or awstats[2] for presentation. The logs
will be saved for X months and then deleted. That's the plan.

[1] http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/
[2] http://awstats.sourceforge.net/

--
Thanks, Fredrik Steen