[users@httpd] I'm running into some problems with libhttpd.ep processes

Hi everyone,

>From what I have understood, if the DSO mode is used to compile Apache, at runtilme, a process libhttpd.ep is spawned to process an http request. The advantage of doing so is the ability to have flexibility and extension. Having said that, I'm getting my system crashing due to an exhausted memory. This is occuring after some client request to view on the client side the content of some files.

For such request, I see a separate libhttpd.ep spawned and its RSS (memory in use) keeping increasing (up to 380MB depending on the size of the file to upload) along with the CPU usage. Then, the outcome of that is a consequent number of libhttpd.ep processes runnning with a consequent consumption of memory (swap).

SO, my questions are (I'm crossing my finger):

- Should Apache core have stopped those libhttpd.ep processes once the request has been processed ?
- Is the libhttpd.ep process leaking memeory and therefore there is a bug (memory used not released) ?

I have already done an intensive search on apache forum and on bug lists and did not find any answer to my questions except this bug report

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-bugs/200502.mbox/%3C200502161004.j1GA4tXI007595@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx%3E

which remain without any answer.

Thanks in advance for any clue that may help.

Mikael