RE: [users@httpd] Automatic script execution whenever a directory is referenced

Many thanks, Craig.  I knew I had some learning to do, but now I know what to look for.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig Dunigan [mailto:cdunigan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:22 AM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Automatic script execution whenever a
directory is referenced

On Wed, 25 May 2005 Drew.Shelton@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Re-posting by request...

Thanks, Drew.  One of these days I'll stop deleting emails I mean to reply to.
Don't hold your breath, though.

Session management in this context means maintaining state even though HTTP is a
stateless protocol.  That means something on the server side has to assign a
unique session ID of some kind to each incoming connection and keep a persistent
store of variables (the session "state") associated with that ID, and the client
has to have some way of receiving that session ID and resubmitting it with each
request.  This is usually handled with a cookie that contains the session ID and
state, although sometimes the state is maintained (usually in a database) on the
server side, to prevent client tampering.  When connected with authN/authZ, it
also means that the server must verify that cookie in some way before allowing
access, and know to re-authenticate the browser when the session is expired.
Using session management often means writing your own code, but there are some
pre-made packages that can do simple stuff via httpd.conf only.  Which one you
use kind of depends on which scripting language you're most comfortable with.
Try Googling for "apache session <language name>", or just "apache session" if
you want to see all of what's out there.  Some things I know of off the top of
my head are Apache::SessionManager (perl) and pubcookie, although the latter
might be overkill for your situation.

HTH,

Craig