RE: [users@httpd] IP based subdomain in second server

Hi Alvaro,

    This is a DNS configuration issue.  If you are hosting your own DNS, it's very simple to do just that.  Have xxx.com point to 111.222.333.444 and yyy.xxx.com point to 555.666.777.888.  If that's the only site you are hosting on that server (yyy.xxx.com) then apache should work fine without many mods.  If you are not hosting your DNS, you need to be able to control it or ask whomever does control it to make a host entry for your server (yyy.xxx.com).

~mike

From: Alvaro Cobo [mailto:coboalvaro@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 4:16 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [users@httpd] IP based subdomain in second server

Hi guys:

I am a newbie and this is my first post. I would like to have your wise advice. The problem is as follows:

I have a domain and a paid hosting which serves our mail and some pages. Additionally to this I would like to have my own server with Apache, where I would like to host a subdomain. For this task I have a static IP address, a server and an ADSL connection to internet at home.

So when the experiment is ready I will have: www.mydomain.com at 200.xxx.x.xxx in an external hosting and subdomain.mydomain.com at 205.xxx.xxx.xxx hosted in my own server at home)

The questions are as follows:

Is this possible to do that?.

Is this subject related to the server configuration or it is more related to the DNS server configuration?.

Is there any specific directive I have to take in account in the moment of configuring my httpd.conf?.

Any clue will be very, very, very appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

Alvaro

PD: I have read the Apache IP-Based and Apache Name-Based Virtual Host support documents, but I am still confused.