RE: [users@httpd] Execute perl Script

The arguments to Alias et al. are used in string-substitution functions so they usually substitute exactly what you type. For example:

	Alias /cgi-bin /srv/www/cgi-bin/

Means that a request http://server/cgi-bin/prog becomes a filepath /srv/www/cgi-bin//prog (note the double-/). On a unix system this doesn't make any difference since repeated slashes are collapsed away. On the other hand, why complicate things? Just do the same thing on both sides...

> Is http://www.yourdomain.com/cgi-bin/ the same as
> http://www.yourdomain.com/cgi-bin in the browsers address bar
> depending on
> what is written in the conf file?

Could be...

In the example you gave, yes. The substitution occurs as described above.

In the general case (http://server/wibble), all apache hears is; go to the docroot and get something called "wibble". At this point it doesn't know if wibble is a file or a directory. If it's a file it serves it, if it's a dir, it sends a redirect back to the client telling it to request http://server/wibble/ [note added slash] (NB - the value used for "server" depends on UseCanonicalName and ServerName - see docs for details). The client makes a second request and this time apache knows in advance that a directory is being requested. So it serves up a listing (if alllowed) or makes another redirect to http://server/wibble/index.html or whatever the DirectoryIndex is set to (or gives a 403 Forbidden if access isn't allowed).  Note that it's the redirection that makes the browser update its address bar.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle