Re: [users@httpd] log rotation for apache 2.0.54 on w2k3 server ?

On 5/21/05, Ian Huynh <ianh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ---->>>>>> for 2.x documentation, see http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/logs.html#rotation
> ---->>>>>>you may want to also check out http://www.cronolog.org

Thank you for the info but my problem remains.
The 2.x documentation tell me exactly the same thing :
It suggests moving the logs to a new location _while_ Apache is still
writing to them, this is possible on *nix because the kernel sees the
files as inodes (same as creating another hard link).
Then the document suggests doing a "graceful restart", what will
actually happen is that once Apache drops his "ownership" of
access_log (and other files) the system driver (the kernel) will
delete the file.
What happens then is that once Apache receives a new connection it
_recreates_ that access_log (and other files) from scratch.
This whole procedure resulting in a "rotation" because the old file is
in our hands to do with it what ever we please and the new log's size
is 0.

This all true for *nix, it's my luck to fall on a stupid windows
server that doesn't even know how to do the most basic file action :
hard linking.
And to tell you all the truth - IT SUCKS :).

I believe that I'm not the first person in the world to face this
problem so I naturally assumed that a simple solution would be
existing (by the Apache for windows build).

Isn't this the case ?

The only solution I currently aware of is : Stop Apache, move logs,
Start Apache.
I don't think I need to tell you that this is not the preferred way to go.

Thank you for replaying and helping me.

--
Cheers,
Maxim Vexler (hq4ever).