Re: Re[2]: [users@httpd] suexec improvement suggestion

On 5/20/05, Alexander Kolesnik <apache-list1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Joshua,
>
> Friday, May 20, 2005, 6:16:25 PM, you wrote:
>
> > (Even if you do have the knowledge to impliment this, you still may
> > not have the knowledge to understand the security implications, so you
> > probably still shouldn't do it.)
>
> Could  you  please  tell  what  security implications do you mean? And
> what's the difference between original suexec's security and the one I
> suggested?

I can't say that I'm a real expert here either, but one important
issue is that you would need to remove an suexec security check:
suexec runs files only under the userid of their owner.    Removing
this check wouldn't automatically lead to a problem -- you'd still
need to compromise the httpd user -- buy it gets you one step closer.

In general, you'd be surprised at how many different people file bugs
asking for suexec restrictions to be relaxed in various ways.  But the
point of suexec is to be simple and secure.  Relaxing these
restrictions -- even on a compile-time configurable basis -- would
certainly kill the "simple" part, and quite possibly the "secure" part
as well.

Joshua.