Re: [users@httpd] Filtering/Interception Error log strings

Jaspreet Singh wrote:

>>If you use conventional vhosts, yes.  That's one reason there are
>>*different* options for mass virtual hosting.  You should use one of
>>them for this and other reasons.
>>

> could, you please elaborate on different options.

Not really - a google search would tell you more.  There are modules
written for the purpose (mod_vhost_alias or third-party alternatives),
or there's a solution described on the mod_rewrite pages.

>>To get separate logs, either postprocess a common log file, or use some
>>alternative such as logging to an SQL database.
>>

> Error log doesn't contain virt_host/server name so If i log errors to a
> common file/sql i can't split them later based on virt_hosts which
> caused them.

Good point.  Adding the host to normal error logging would seem to be
the simple solution.  I'm not sure if there's a simpler solution.

>>>I read in src/httd-2.0.46/CHANGES +3274
>>>  *) Add a new request hook, error_log.  This phase allows modules
>>>     to act on the error log string _after_ it has been written
>>>     to the error log.
>>
>>Note the word _after_.  It's addressing a different requirement.
>

> If, i am not mistaken .. "__after__" means that the msg is already
> logged to error_log and them passed to hook. Thats ok with me, as i can
> get the server name from "request" structure and log the same msg again
> to syslog appending server name.

Yes, probably.  But logging twice doesn't seem very efficient to me.

--
Nick Kew