Re: [users@httpd] problem when using mod_deflate and zip files and IE6

Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV wrote:
thanks for your answer
Does Apache seem to be compressing the file i.e. is Content-Encoding: gzip ? If it is not, which I suspect, mod_deflate did not compress the file. Judging from your configuration, there is no reason to believe that your zip files are treated any differently than pdf files.

What about the deflate log? Does that contain any indication of zip files being compressed whereas pdf files are not?
when I unload mod_deflate everything works fine
Did you try to unload or otherwise de-activate mod_deflate to see if that makes any difference?
as soon as I have mod_deflat logged and
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
it does not work anymore.
From the deflate log I do not get any usefull info, since no matter what the settings are, it does not show any compression ratio
Using
   # deflate.log, log compression ratio on each request
   DeflateFilterNote ratio
   LogFormat '"%r" %b (ratio=%{ratio}n) "%{User-agent}i"' deflate
   CustomLog /var/log/apache2/deflate.log deflate

I only get lines as the following .
"GET /ploneNS4.css HTTP/1.1" 794 (ratio=-) "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50110)"

This is also something that makes me wonder. Why do I not get a compression ration
.
Now I achieved serving zip f iles by using
   AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/css
instead of
   SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

Why is this so??
thanks again for your help
Robert

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
   DeflateCompressionLevel 9
# NOTE: Due to a bug in mod_setenvif up to Apache 2.0.48
   # the above regex won't work. You can use the following
   # workaround to get the desired effect:
   #BrowserMatch \bMSI[E] !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
# Don't compress images, java scripts and style sheets
   #_robert_ pdf, gz hinzugeuegt
   SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \
   \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png|js|css|pdf|gz|zip)$ no-gzip dont-vary
# Make sure proxies don't deliver the wrong content
   # this needs mod_headers but it's very important
   # so I don't add a IfModule around it
   #Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary

   <Location />
       # compress content with type html, text, and css
       AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/css
       <IfModule mod_headers.c>
           # properly handle requests coming from behind proxies
           Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary
       </IfModule>
   </Location>

   # deflate.log, log compression ratio on each request
   DeflateFilterNote ratio
   LogFormat '"%r" %b (ratio=%{ratio}n) "%{User-agent}i"' deflate
   CustomLog /var/log/apache2/deflate.log deflate

   #Properly handle old browsers that do not support compression
   BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
   BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
   BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
</IfModule>

-ascs