Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.1 when?

On 5/8/05, db <db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've searched http://httpd.apache.org/ but couldn't find the info I was
> looking for, so I hope someone here can help me.
> I want to write a module for apache 2.x, but as far as I could see the module
> API is not "stable" yet. I'm guessing this will happen around the next stable
> 2.X release? Which will be apache 2.1? But when will this happen? (I'm not
> expecting a precise date, but is it one month or one year from now?)

The 2.0 module-API is stable, and the developers have stated that it
will remain binary compatible to future 2.0 versions.

The 2.1 module API will not be binary compatible with 2.0, but I
believe it will be source-compatible.

2.1 is currently somewhere between alpha and beta.  It should go to
beta shortly.  When the final release (which will be called 2.2) will
happen is anyone's guess.  If I was forced, I would guess the end of
this year.

> I've found a lot of tutorials on module writing, but most of them are out of
> date and/or not very comprehensive, so does anyone know if there is a "2.1
> module api" documentation in development?

I don't think a complete doc exists.  But the doxygen stuff should be
a good reference:
http://docx.webperf.org/

Joshua.