RE: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3x Secure Server

To add a point to the discussion: You have to ask yourself what the passphrase is actually for: it is not to secure the *server*, rather it is to secure the *certificate*...

Imagine someone copies your certificate file onto a floppy and sneaks it out the door. Then they masquerade your site and try to load your certificate into the server. With no passphrase, the fake site is indistinguishable from the real one. But with a passphrase, the hacker can't get the server to start so cannot masquerade your site.

Personally, I don't believe a passphrase is necessary: If you run an SSL server, then that implies you are handling confidential information. You therefore have a moral obligation to keep the system secure. If your system is so insecure that you are worried about people stealing your certificate, then you shouldn't be running an SSL server. In any case, the certificate (specifically, the .key file), should be in a separate directory which is owned by root and which can be accessed only by root, ie:

drwx------   2 root     other   512 May 14  2001 ssl_key_dir

(NB - the certificate is loaded into apache during the start-up when the user is still root, before the apache user inherits the daemons).

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> It's
> just that I've got an awful memory, occasional power outages, and a
> e-commerce program that relies on the secure server running to work.
>
> Bob

Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a private and personal nature. It is not related to the exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe SWX.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.