Re: [users@httpd] DirectoryIndex not working properly

dan wrote:
Craig Dunigan wrote:

On Thu, 5 May 2005, dan wrote:

Hello, all -

I'm having a bit of trouble gettind DirectoryIndex to work properly. I've been going over my configs for about two hours, and have found nothing. I need a new set of eyes.

I have 'DirectoryIndex index.htm' set up, and over the years that I've used Apache, I've never seen this. It's as if mod_dir is not "working" properly. I can hit http://m.y.i.p/ and the access log records a 404, and that's what I'm presented with in the browser. However, if I hit http://m.y.i.p/index.htm, the page comes up.

Here's some output from ./httpd -l:

Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_env.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_negotiation.c
  mod_status.c
  mod_include.c
  mod_autoindex.c
  mod_dir.c
  mod_cgi.c
  mod_asis.c
  mod_actions.c
  mod_rewrite.c
  mod_access.c
  mod_auth.c
  mod_so.c
  mod_setenvif.c
suexec: disabled; invalid wrapper /var/www/bin/suexec

mod_dir is clearly compiled in, however, doesn't seem to work. I have attached my httpd.conf for others to gander over, if they would. It would help a great deal.

Thanks
-dant

ServerType standalone
ServerRoot "/var/www"
PidFile /var/www/logs/httpd.pid
ScoreBoardFile /var/www/logs/httpd.scoreboard
Timeout 300
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15
MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 10
StartServers 5
MaxClients 1024
MaxRequestsPerChild 0
Port 8080
User www
Group www
ServerAdmin rpmbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
DocumentRoot "/var/www/htdocs"
<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>
<Directory "/var/www/htdocs">
    Options +Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

<IfModule mod_dir.c>
    DirectoryIndex index.htm
</IfModule>
AccessFileName .htaccess
<Files ~ "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
    Satisfy All
</Files>
UseCanonicalName On
DefaultType text/plain
HostnameLookups Off
ErrorLog /var/www/logs/error_log
LogLevel warn
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined
LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent
CustomLog /var/www/logs/access_log common
ServerSignature On

I could be wrong, but I thought Apache processed conf files from the top down, so that the DirectoryIndex coming after the Directory as you've shown it would mean the DirectoryIndex wasn't set at the time the Directory block was processed.

Very interesting idea. It's been my impression for quite a while that the order in which items were listed in the conf file made no difference. However, let me give this a shot - I'll let you know.

Thanks!
-dant

Craig -

I'll be damned.  That was it.