From: Joe Orton [mailto:jorton@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 3:04 AM
To: Milstead, Douglas
Cc: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.52 Error Log: Warning:
(128)Network is unreachable: connect to listener

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 12:40:21PM -0500, Milstead, Douglas wrote:
> I am frequently, but sporadically, getting the following warning in
the
> Apache 2.0.52 error log:
>
> [Tue May 03 13:23:56 2005] [warn] (128)Network is unreachable: connect
> to listener

This can happen if you have firewalling set up to prevent local
connections to the public-facing IP address(es) of the machine.  If
that's not the case, try 2.0.54, which has some changes to this code.

> I have not been able to relate the timing of these messages to any
> particular activity in the access log. The warning seems completely
> random. Although, its frequency does seem to increase with higher user
> volume.

It happens when the parent process decides that there are too many idle
children running and one can be woken up and told to quit. (e.g. after a
load spike)

Regards,

joe

*****

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. 117