From: Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV [mailto:Axel-Stephane.SMORGRAV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 10:31 AM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Running multiple daemons

We have numerous instances of Apache running on each server. Apache is installed only once. A directory structure is created for each instance of Apache which contains the bin, cgi-bin, conf, and htdocs directories. The bin directory contains a modified version of apachectl as well as an envvars file.

The modified version of apachectl (included herein) determines the root directory of the instance and invokes httpd with the apropriate arguments. To start a particular server instance, you only need to run apachectl in the bin directory of the instance.

The main difference between the configurations is the ServerRoot since most paths are relative to this.

                  |                          /usr/local/apache
     apache01         apache02         --------------------
conf  bin  htdocs cgi-bin logs

-ascs