[users@httpd] Keep php from reading into other virtualhosts document roots

I was hoping perchild MPM would be my savior, but alas, it was not to be.
Here's what I want to do:
I have about 10 Virtual Hosts.  They all need/want to use PHP.  My problem
is that users on www.denjak.com can write a simple PHP script to ls or cat
files on www.banditlair.com.  The directories are setup in this fashion:
/www/www.denjak.com/htdocs
/www/www.banditlair.com/htdocs
/www/www.etc,etc.com/htdocs

I want to keep virtual hosts from being able to read outside the document
root or at least the base www.whatever.com directory.  Since most of my
virtual hosts are owned by me I'm really not worried yet, but I was hoping
to let some frieds host domains on my server.  I was hoping perchild or
metux MPM would do the trick but I can't get either of them to work.  Is
there anyway for this to be done?  Is there anything like perchild or metux
MPM in the works for apache 2.1 or beyond?  I would imagine this would be
pretty valuable if it actually worked.
Thanks,
Jake Miller