[users@httpd] Re: What editor to edit config files with Windows XP?

This is off topic but worth mentioning here.  NetBSD
and probably other UNIX OSs get rather shaken by
notepad edited files because notepad puts a carriage
return (in addition to the linefeed) at the end of
every text record, shown in the hex dump as 0d0a.
This may work fine for MS Windows, but if you are in
the lazy habit (as I am) of editing text files on my
Windows PC (which I also use for all my backups) and
uploading them to your target BSD box, any notepad
edited files need to have the CRs stripped off the end
of every record.  As a further aside, Wordpad will do
the same thing if the file is saved as a txt file.
Note that Notepad needs the 0d0a to display records
properly, whereas Wordpad will actually open either
type of record (0d0a or 0a terminated) and display it
properly, but when the file is saved as txt WordPad
writes the 0d0a to every record (and I use WordPad
that way, as a converter, to permit me to use notepad
on text files downloaded from NetBSD).

Notepad works just fine. When you're done editing,
click file>save as , then at the bottom of the window
change the text box labelled "Save As Type" from
'text' to 'all files'. The file will then be saved
using whatever name you supply.

Gene

Steven Pierce wrote:

>I use one called Jedit (http://www.jedit.org/) it is
Java based.  It is totally open source.  I use it both
on my windows and Mac computers.  It is really simple
and easy to use.

>my 2 cents...

>On 4/26/2005 at 2:28 PM Covington, Chris wrote:
>

>>>When I edit my hosts, httpd, and other files, I use
notepad. When I save the files, they become .txt
files. Should I be using some other editor to
correctly save the files as other than .txt?