Re: [users@httpd] Beginners question

Joe Tellup wrote:
Hello, please forgive my lack of experience with the apache server, I'm a recent convert from IIS, as in the past week. When we hosted our websites on commercial sites, the shell access or ftp access was easy enough to work with, however, from the key board it is a different matter. I have the proxy.aol.com literally burning up my bandwidth. I'm sure there is a method with the htaccess to stop them, but I do not have enough knowledge yet about this file to configure it properly, Would anyone have a suggestion? Many thanks in advance

Joe -

It would not be wise to throttle a *.proxy.aol.com address, as tens of thousands of clients might be using this proxy server. Who knows.

Think of it this way....

one client eating up a lot of bandwidth, or tens of thousands of clients collectively eating up the same amount of bandwidth.

It just so happens that your site may have a lot of AOL visitors on it.

Hope that helps
-dant