[users@httpd] Problems with Apache + Tomcat on separate servers

All,

     I've been tasked with setting up a development environment for a
business intelligence solution using Apache and Tomcat and am having a
problem.  I've installed Apache 2.0.53 (along with mod_jk.so,
mod_ssl.so, and mod_sm20.dll) on a Windows 2000 Server system and
connect that to a second Windows 2000 Server system that's hosting
Tomcat 4.1.27, Sun's JDK 1.4.2_03 and our BI solution.

    On the Apache server, I can access the Apache test screen via ssl
and non-ssl localhost, server ip, and url connections, with the SSO
application (Netegrity SiteMinder 5.5 QMR6) working correctly.

    On the Tomcat server, I can access the Tomcat examples via port
8080 without any problems.

    My problem is getting the Apache server to integrate correctly
with the Tomcat server.  I've done the following so far:

Set up the workers.properties file in <%Apache Root%>/conf folder.

Set worker.tcDev.host=192.168.1.2, the IP address for the Tomcat
server.  Both servers are on the same network segment and I can map
drives between the two fine.

Added the Alias and JkMount lines to the SSL enabled virtual host in
httpd.conf.  The Alias goes to the <%Tomcat Root%>/webapps/examples
folder, mapping over with the Tomcat server via UNC.

I've found that I can browse to https://apacheserv/examples/ and see
the directory list.  If I attempt to access any of the folders listed,
I am greeted with an Internal Server Error.  A check of the SSL.log,
tcDevError.log, and Event viewer doesn't provide any information, nor
do the Tomat Logs.

The configuration of the httpd.conf, ssl.conf, workers.properties, and
server.xml files have been changed to reflect the IPs, server names,
and registered URLs of each server, one change at a time.

I'm completely stuck on this problem and would appreciate any advice
or guidance.

Thanks,
Cass Bussell
Symbolic Systems, Inc
Supporting CECOM Acquisition Center, Electronic Initiatives Group