RE: [users@httpd] Options Indexes: how to force listing of directories with access control settings?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: nick.minutello@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> >> I guess you're using apache 2?
> Actually, its 1.3...

Eh?

I just went back to your original post and replicated your config. I cannot reproduce your problem with apache 1.3.33.

If I password-protect a sub-directory using your exact .htaccess file directives, the directory is listed but if I click on it, I am prompted for a password.

If I put "Deny from all" in the <Directory> container, the directory is listed but if I click on it, I get a "403 Forbidden".

In no case is the directory *not* listed. This is exactly the behaviour I would expect in 1.3. Therefore your problem must have a different cause.

Looking back at your original post, I'd pose a few questions:

- the parent directory for the index is "/data/scm/buildarchive/archives". This doesn't sound like it is directly under the doc-root. Is it? Or is it accessed via an Alias or symlink or something?
- do you have any directory container for the sub-dirs (eg, /data/scm/buildarchive/archives/ARCH1) that could conflict with the .htaccess fie there?
- do you have a .htaccess file in the parent dir that could conflict with the container in the config?
- are there any less-specific directory containers or .htaccess files (ie, above the parent dir) which contain directives that the parent dir might inherit?

Finally, try a simple experiment:

- Directly under the docroot, make a directory "banana". This is the parent dir.
- in banana, make two sub-dirs: kiwi and mango. Create a couple of files in each.
- in the config, do:

     <Directory /path/to/docroot/banana>
         Options Indexes
         AllowOverride AuthConfig
     </Directory>

Now if you go to http://server/banana/ you should see a listing of kiwi and mango and clicking on them should list the contents.

- in kiwi, copy in your .htaccess from /data/scm/buildarchive/archives/ARCH1
- now go back to http://server/banana/, do you see kiwi listed? (you should)
- if you click on kiwi, are you prompted for a password? (you should be)

If not, then a really silly question: Are you really sure you're running apache 1.3? (go to the bin dir and do ./httpd -v to check!)

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> >> This sounds a lot like what happens when you have files in
> the directory
> which are subject to a Deny directive
> I am using a Require rather than Deny... but its the same issue....
>
> >> - you can see them but can't access them in apache 1.3 but
> you can't see
> them at all in apache 2.
> Hmm, I am running 1.3...
>
> >> you can see them but can't access them
> You describe it well - thats exactly the behaviour I want.
> I want people to be able to see the protected files/dirs, but
> get prompted
> for a password in order access them... (subject to authorisation...)
>
> >> there is a discussion at:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-users&m=107632025
> 906691&w=2
> If I understood that thread correctly, its more about the
> actual filesystem
> permissions (chmod), rather than Require/Deny directives in Apache....
>
> -Nick
>
> >> Nice try, but mod_autoindex works by try to access the
> file using the
> configured ruleset so it'll still hit the block...
> Yup...
>

> Extranet
> Owen.Boyle@xxxxxxx - 20/04/2005 16:20
>

> Please respond to users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> To:    users
>
> cc:
>

> Subject:    RE: [users@httpd] Options Indexes: how to force listing of
>        directories with access control settings?

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.