[users@httpd] Using apache as proxy with another Apache and JBoss

hi,

One of our J2EE applications is running on JBoss/Tomcat server and all the requests are coming  from Apache using JK connector. The OS is RedHat EL 3.0.

The application is very reach in multimedia content which is stored as BLOB objects in an Oracle database. Because of them the database is 40 GB big and growing. Initially the application would load the BLOB objects on request into the memory and cache them. Unfortunately it would consume lots of memory (up to 2 GB) when the number of users increases or the users would start requesting more and more multimedia content (Flas, movie, audio etc files).

Squid was introduced to the configuration as external cache and managed to increase the performance and scalability of the application. Up to some point. Even with Squid enabled the application doesn't scale well.

We are looking now into different approaches to off-load the BLOB objects from the SQL server into the file system served by Apache. That would reduce the database size to probably few hundred MB and increase the response times from the SQL server. The idea is to keep the multimedia content out of the application/JBoss  memory space. In this scenario one Apache web server would work as proxy and serve the multimedia files from the file system located on the same box. All other apache servers would access this proxy when multimedia content would be requested and send the rest of the requests to the application on JBoss.

The only obstacle we have is how to make sure that only authenticated users have access to the multimedia files. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dimitar