RE: [users@httpd] Including config files conditionally

> > But Apache fails to start if the file is missing. What I want should
> look
> > like
> >
> >    <IfExists "D:/intranet/wwwroot/.htconfig">
> >    Include "D:/intranet/wwwroot/.htconfig"
> >    </IfExists>
> >
> > Is that possible to conditionally include configuration files the way I
> > need?
>
> Not directly.  It would help if you explained why it is that you need
> this.
>
> I see two easy alternatives:
>
> 1. Surround the include with an <IfDefine extraconfig>, and then start
> apache with "apachectl -Dextraconfig" when that config file is present
> (which you could test inside a script if you needed it to be
> automatic.
>
> 2. Use the wildcard include mechanism:
> Include .htcon*
> I haven't tried it, but I believe that this will suceed even if it
> doesn't match any files.

Well, that is what I was thinking about. I guess it is a good solution for
my case if there is no such "direct" way.

I needed that for four main reasons:
1. I want to move host-specific (Virtual Host section) directives to a
separate file located in the project directory.
2. I don't want to use .htaccess since it has some (serious) limitations and
negatively impacts server's performance.
3. That is very easy way to store host configuration in CVS. So a developer
can easily check-out it to use on his development machine.
4. Control panel of our VPS allows specifying host-specific directives via
Web interface. All I need is just to open .htconfig and copy-and-paste its
contents to the text input.

Thus, it seems reasonable to go this way. Isn't it?