[users@httpd] weirdness

Note: This does _not_ appear to be a mod_perl issues, and yes, I have
checked the error_log.

All of a sudden apache is acting really weird.  I have a custom built
1.3.33 apache (mod_per, mod_ssl) that serves 53 virtual host sites.  Some
are very simple and serve static html, while some are more advanced with
Mason.

Everything was running fine until I added a new site.  I added it, did a
normal configtest (said everything was ok), hit restart and it says it
started.  I try to access the site - connection refused.  I check 'ps axf
| grep apache' and its not there.  I try 'netstat -l' and its not there.
I hit 'apachectl stop' and I'm told its not running (ya, I know..).  I try
to start it again, says it started, but it doesn't.

The error_logs show NOTHING except the usual can't find favicon.ico.

I commented out the configuration for the site I added.  I try start
apache.  It doesn't work.  I try commenting out all sites but one and it
starts (yay!).  I add sites one-by-one until apache does not start.  The
site that is causing the problem is a static html site.  I leave it
commented and continue to uncomment additional sites.  Different sites now
cause apache to not start - some are static sites some are mason sites.
Every site will run fine if it is the only (or one of a couple) sites that
are uncommented.  No one site is causing the problem, but somehow a
combination of a majority of them stops apache from starting.  <-- this is
the only *clue* I have to the problem.  Maybe it will mean something to
somebody else.

Like I said, there ain't anything helpful in the error_logs like "unable
to bind to port 80".  If it was that simple I could fix it.  Anyone know
where else to look?  I've grepped through all my system logs and nothing.

At whits end,

Aran